Supporting the student

You should direct students to the support services available, for example HISA, which may provide independent support and advice. This applies to students who are going through student academic misconduct procedures and to students who are providing information about someone else’s conduct, which is being considered under those procedures. It is good practice to give students access to support and advice and, where it is not practicable to do so internally, you should consider arranging for students to access support at other local community services.

Students who have access to well-trained and resourced student support services will not normally need to seek legal advice, although they may wish to in serious cases.

You should be aware of our duties under the Equality Act 2010 to make reasonable adjustments for disabled students. If the student says the behaviour giving rise to the academic misconduct concern is related to their disability, you should consider carefully whether to proceed with disciplinary action, or to refer the student to support for (or fitness to) study processes.

You may also need to take into account a student’s disability when setting penalties. For example, if the student’s conduct was linked to an underlying mental health condition, that might mitigate the seriousness of the offence. In some cases it might be more appropriate to refer the student to support for (or fitness to) study processes than to apply an academic misconduct penalty.


You should tell students who have mental health difficulties about the specific support services available to them, for example counselling services. If a student appears unable to engage effectively with the academic misconduct process, the provider may suggest that the student appoints a representative. It may be appropriate to suspend the misconduct process until the student has accessed appropriate support.

UHI logo

All efforts have been made to ensure materials created by the EDU comply with current accessibility guidelines (JISC: Support for learners with disabilities).

If further assistance is required with accessibility matters please contact the student support section in your academic partner UHI: Accessing learner support.


Unless otherwise stated all external links will open in a new tab/window

We welcome any comments on how to improve this unit. Please feel free to pass these on at any time.

If you have any difficulty viewing this resource please contact EDU ( with:

  • the name of the resource;
  • a description of the problem (please give as much detail as possible);
  • the section of the resource where the problem occurred;
  • your internet browser (you can check your browser version at:

UHI provides links to external sources of information and may refer to specific Web sites, products, processes or services within this resource. Such references are examples and are not endorsements and whilst every effort is taken to ensure the accuracy of information provided UHI is not responsible for any of the content or guidance. You are advised to exercise caution.






External link









Download a copy of this resource in PDF format.

You can also print individual pages by printing directly from the browser.