PDF (Portable Document Format) is a file format that was created by Adobe to provide a means of representing any document file type in a format that was independent of the software, hardware or operating system.
Adobe also created a free reader application called Adobe Acrobat Reader, now called Adobe Reader DC that is freely available for Windows, Macintosh and Android.
Other PDF readers are available offering different sets of features.
In addition to providing a format that is viewable across almost all devices PDF also provides:
- a non-editable document format that maintains the integrity of the original;
- a printable document, a feature regularly requested by learners;
- access to accessibility features such as reflow, colour, contrast, and read-aloud, making your documents more inclusive;
- a navigable document structure.
All efforts have been made to ensure materials created by the EDU comply with current accessibility guidelines (JISC: Support for learners with disabilities).
If further assistance is required with accessibility matters please contact the student support section in your academic partner UHI: Accessing learner support.
We welcome any comments on how to improve this unit. Please feel free to pass these on at any time.
If you have any difficulty viewing this resource please contact EDU (email@example.com) with:
- the name of the resource;
- a description of the problem (please give as much detail as possible);
- the section of the resource where the problem occurred;
- your internet browser (you can check your browser version at: http://detectmybrowser.com/).
UHI provides links to external sources of information and may refer to specific Web sites, products, processes or services within this resource. Such references are examples and are not endorsements and whilst every effort is taken to ensure the accuracy of information provided UHI is not responsible for any of the content or guidance. You are advised to exercise caution.
Pause for thought
Download a copy of this resource in PDF format.
You can also print individual pages by printing directly from the browser.